Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Personal Firewall Nightmare

Recently I've been looking for a good personal firewall for my Windows XP laptop. My requirements, in order of importance, were as follows;

1. It should be stable! (no BSOD crashes please!)
- I don't mind having to turn off advanced application behavior monitoring stuff if it makes the firewall more stable; mostly these advance stuff cause too much instability than benefits.

2. It should be light weight.
- firewall is a background tool; it should behave as one!.. I don't want it to eat my CPU cycles or keep crunching my disk. I don't want a big bloated security suite forcing protection on me; at least I should be able to enable/disable the modules I want.

3. I should be able to simply enable/disable the firewall completely with a click of a button.
- hey it's my computer! Don't try to be too smart 'n force protection all the time! there are plenty of times when I simply need the firewall off my back.. completely.

4. ability to tell the firewall that an application is 'trusted', with a single click.
- I shouldn't have to answer multiple popups for the same application; hey, I told you once.. 'I trust firefox!'.. don't nag me again. of course the ability to edit that rule later and fine tune it if required, is a definite plus.

5. showing useful information like which applications are sending/receiving data at which rate etc.;
- I need to know which applications are sending data or eating my bandwidth behind my back.

Are these too much to ask from a firewall? I don't think so. These requirements are pretty basic, straightforward and what most people would need too.

* I'm not at all worried about being 100% secure; If the world's smartest hacker is going to hack me, he'll hack me anyway. What I don't need is my PC crashing on me while I'm doing some important work; but thats exactly what happens when firewalls try to be perfect and add all the security measures in the world! KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid!

The Painful Discoveries:

* ZoneAlarm Pro
- stable; easy to use.
- $$; takes too much CPU 'n crunches my disk too much.. hey I need my resources for productive work. also not much useful stats. (uninstalled after a week)

* Comodo Firewall 2.4
- free; easy to use; useful stats.
- too many BSODs. (conflicts with "folderlockbox"); takes too much CPU 'n crunches my disk too much. (uninstalled after a week)

* Jetico Firewall v1.x
- free. stable. light weight.
- way too complicated rules.. even for me! (I'm a software engineer!); they just have screwed up badly trying to create the "worlds most flexible rule set!".. (uninstalled after 2 days)

* Sunbelt Personal Firewall
- light weight; easy to use.
- $$; too many BSODs!! (uninstalled after a day!)

* Prisma Firewall
- ??
- didn't detect my USB ADSL.. didn't allow me to browse untill I uninstalled it! (uninstalled after 5 mins!)

* GhostWall
- free; very stable. ultra light weight!
- no application rules; less configurable. (uninstalled, but might end up using this again)

and I'm still looking for a decent firewall! ...

No comments: