Wednesday, August 29, 2007

x264 (H.264) encoding for Pocket PC

I encode a lot of my music videos for viewing on my PPC. I used to encode to wmv until recently trying out x264. It gives much better quality at the same filsize. However you'll need a player such as CorePlayer v1.1 (commercial) to play them. (Anybody know of any good open-source PPC player for x264?)

I use MediaCoder (superb new open-source tool) for encoding. here are the settings I use:

- size=320x240; fps=15
- Audio: Nero HE-AAC, Target Quality; quality=25 (20-25 ok)
- Video: H.264,mp4, x264, quality based, quality=45 (40-50 ok)

video encoding command line:
".\codecs\x264.exe" "$(SourceFile)" --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --thread-input --keyint 250 --bframes 3 --level 51 --direct spatial --crf 27 --threads auto --subme 5 --ref 1 --weightb --trellis 1 --me hex --merange 16 -o "$(DestFile)"

audio encoding command line:
codecs\neroAacEnc_SSE2.exe -q 0.25 -he -ignorelength -if - -of "$(DestFile)"

(please share any settings you might be using for your encodes..)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you make this into an extension and post it someplace so that we can use it easier

Michaelmj11 said...

I am not sure if VLC would work for this or not, it is a free player, that I have found, will play just about anything.

Unknown said...

http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/
TCPMP is open-source version of what later became the commercial Core Player. Works fantastically well (with the plugins)

netsurfz said...

x264 is the best codec! I'm thinking of convert it for my ppc